Our kids are hungry. Both for food and to learn. We're here for both. It's all about planting the seed for positive eating habits for today and tomorrow. We believe by providing children with the enthusiasm and spatulas they need to cook meals from scratch, we are setting them on a path to a healthier, fuller life.
But we can start to make changes. To go back to the way it used to be. In the Kitchen. Together, Education. Eating !
We're plating up a new hands-on food education program for our kids, enabling early learning centres and primary schools to bring back the fun in food. Get in touch and get involved.
1. Teach children food knowledge and preparation skills to give the confidence to make better food choices
2. Engage early learning and primary school communities - students, teachers and parents - to gain support and increase awareness about the importance of making nutritious food choices
3. Demonstrate the everyday health benefits of nutritious food choices
Currently food education in schools is severely lacking. In Australia, 1 in 4 children aged 3 to 17 are overweight or obese. According to the Australian Department of Health, these figures have doubled since 1986.... DOUBLED!! Children who are overweight or obese are not only at high risk of health related disease, but also social stigma, bullying, low self-esteem, isolation, poor academic performance and depression. It is also highly likely that obese children will remain obese into adulthood - statistics show around 80% of obese children will become obese adults (Centres for Disease Control and Prevention 2012).
* Overweight and obesity can lead to chronic disease and low self-esteem
* Overweight children are more likely to experience teasing and bullying
* 92% of children aged 3-11 are not consuming adequate amounts of fruit and vegetable
* Parents of primary school aged children do not have the cooking skills to provide healthy meals
* Children in turn are not learning cooking skills from a young age and are not having opportunity
to try different fruit and vegetables
Our program is designed to bring the beauty and fun of fresh, local and seasonal produce to life. Inspiring children by allowing them to absorb essential knowledge in a hands-on way, by tasting,
playing and creating easy, delicious and nutritious dishes from scratch.
1. To increase program participant's enjoyment of food and cooking
2. To increase program participant's knowledge about food - what it is, where it comes from, and
how it affects their bodies and health
3. To increase participant's confidence to cook and their cooking skills